Changing Relief Options
- When a player proceeds (drops a ball) under a permitted a Rule, the player must continue under that Rule.
- A player may only change relief options within a Rule before a ball is dropped for the first time or when a ball is dropped outside the relief area.
- A player may not change relief options after a drop which:
- Hits the player or his or her equipment before hitting the ground.
- Is dropped incorrectly (e.g., from the wrong height or with spin).
- Lands in and rolls out of the relief area.
- A player may always change the drop location when taking back-on-the-line relief because only the location is changing, not the relief option.
- When a player has put another ball into play under a Rule which involves known or virtual certainty and prior to playing the stroke learns the ball is in a wrong place, the player must abandon the ball and drop (Rule 15.2b, Rule 16.1e, Rule 17.1c) or place (Rule 9.6) any ball in the correct location using any of the relief options under the appropriate Rule but must not play the original ball from a wrong place. 14.5a